Thursday, February 4, 2010

February 5, Friday Devotion

Hey everyone, I hope this message finds you doing well. I am trying to do some housekeeping... er, devotion-keeping and it would be helpful if I had some input. If you would be willing to respond via email to mike.w.mcvey@gmail.com, it would help me do a better job with these devotions.

Do you like the current format of devotions for Monday through Friday?
Would you prefer for devotions on Saturday and Sunday, a combined Sat/Sun devotion, or is Monday-Friday satisfactory?
How often do you read one of the devotions: ( ) Once a week; ( ) Twice a week; ( ) 3-4 times a week; ( ) Everyday there is a devotion
How many people do you send the devotion to?
If I could change some things about the devotions, I would: ________________________________________
I read my devotion: ( ) Via email on a computer; ( ) Via email on a phone; ( ) Through the Devotions with Mike blog

Thanks again everyone! May Christ be able to accomplish great things through you.

Mike W. McVey

February 5, Friday Devotion
Isaiah 29:13-24

13 And so the Lord says, “These people say they are mine. They honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. And their worship of me is nothing but man-made rules learned by rote. 14 Because of this, I will once again astound these hypocrites with amazing wonders. The wisdom of the wise will pass away, and the intelligence of the intelligent will disappear.”
15 What sorrow awaits those who try to hide their plans from the Lord, who do their evil deeds in the dark! “The Lord can’t see us,” they say. “He doesn’t know what’s going on!” 16 How foolish can you be? He is the Potter, and he is certainly greater than you, the clay! Should the created thing say of the one who made it, “He didn’t make me”? Does a jar ever say, “The potter who made me is stupid”?
17 Soon—and it will not be very long—the forests of Lebanon will become a fertile field, and the fertile field will yield bountiful crops. 18 In that day the deaf will hear words read from a book, and the blind will see through the gloom and darkness. 19 The humble will be filled with fresh joy from the Lord. The poor will rejoice in the Holy One of Israel. 20 The scoffer will be gone, the arrogant will disappear, and those who plot evil will be killed. 21 Those who convict the innocent by their false testimony will disappear. A similar fate awaits those who use trickery to pervert justice and who tell lies to destroy the innocent.
22 That is why the Lord, who redeemed Abraham, says to the people of Israel, “My people will no longer be ashamed or turn pale with fear. 23 For when they see their many children and all the blessings I have given them, they will recognize the holiness of the Holy One of Israel. They will stand in awe of the God of Jacob. 24 Then the wayward will gain understanding, and complainers will accept instruction.
Quick Notes/Questions
It appear that the ones who get the most gruff from God seem to be the the ones who are the closest to Him. Honestly, who are you harder on: the ones who are close friends and family or complete strangers? My guess is the former. At the same time, we seem to disappoint those closest to us and those closest to us seem to disappoint us the most. This does not mean we will understand everything or have no rights to complain. But does it surprise you that that God is harder on believers rather than non-believers? Why or why not?
Quick Prayer
O God, you continue to lift me up no matter how low I go. O that I may mature in your spirit and be made perfect by your grace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment