Wednesday, February 24, 2010

February 25, Thursday Devotion

February 25, Thursday Devotion
Isaiah 37:21-29

21 Then Isaiah son of Amoz sent this message to Hezekiah: “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: Because you prayed about King Sennacherib of Assyria, 22 the Lord has spoken this word against him:
“The virgin daughter of Zion despises you and laughs at you. The daughter of Jerusalem shakes her head in derision as you flee. 23 “Whom have you been defying and ridiculing? Against whom did you raise your voice? At whom did you look with such haughty eyes? It was the Holy One of Israel! 24 By your messengers you have defied the Lord. You have said, ‘With my many chariots I have conquered the highest mountains—yes, the remotest peaks of Lebanon. I have cut down its tallest cedars and its finest cypress trees. I have reached its farthest heights and explored its deepest forests. 25 I have dug wells in many foreign lands and refreshed myself with their water. With the sole of my foot, I stopped up all the rivers of Egypt!’
26 “But have you not heard? I decided this long ago. Long ago I planned it, and now I am making it happen. I planned for you to crush fortified cities into heaps of rubble. 27 That is why their people have so little power and are so frightened and confused. They are as weak as grass, as easily trampled as tender green shoots. They are like grass sprouting on a housetop, scorched before it can grow lush and tall. 28 “But I know you well—where you stay and when you come and go. I know the way you have raged against me. 29 And because of your raging against me and your arrogance, which I have heard for myself, I will put my hook in your nose and my bit in your mouth. I will make you return by the same road on which you came.”
Quick Notes/Questions
This is a troublesome passage. We say that God is good, but we see in this passage that God has allowed the destruction of lands and genocide of peoples. How can a good God not only allow for bad things to happen but actually enable our enemies to do such atrocities? I have my answers, but this is one of these things we need to struggle with. How do you deal with a good God allowing and sometimes enabling bad things to happen?
Quick Prayer
Lord, I don't understand a lot, but I trust that you are sovereign. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment