Wednesday, January 20, 2010

January 21, Thursday Devotion

January 21, Thursday Devotion
Isaiah 22:1-14

1 This message came to me concerning Jerusalem—the Valley of Vision: What is happening? Why is everyone running to the rooftops? 2 The whole city is in a terrible uproar. What do I see in this reveling city? Bodies are lying everywhere, killed not in battle but by famine and disease. 3 All your leaders have fled. They surrendered without resistance. The people tried to slip away, but they were captured, too. 4 That’s why I said, “Leave me alone to weep; do not try to comfort me. Let me cry for my people as I watch them being destroyed.”
5 Oh, what a day of crushing defeat! What a day of confusion and terror brought by the Lord, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, upon the Valley of Vision! The walls of Jerusalem have been broken, and cries of death echo from the mountainsides. 6 Elamites are the archers, with their chariots and charioteers. The men of Kir hold up the shields. 7 Chariots fill your beautiful valleys, and charioteers storm your gates. 8 Judah’s defenses have been stripped away. You run to the armory for your weapons. 9 You inspect the breaks in the walls of Jerusalem. You store up water in the lower pool. 10 You survey the houses and tear some down for stone to strengthen the walls. 11 Between the city walls, you build a reservoir for water from the old pool. But you never ask for help from the One who did all this. You never considered the One who planned this long ago.
12 At that time the Lord, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, called you to weep and mourn. He told you to shave your heads in sorrow for your sins and to wear clothes of burlap to show your remorse. 13 But instead, you dance and play; you slaughter cattle and kill sheep. You feast on meat and drink wine. You say, “Let’s feast and drink, for tomorrow we die!” 14 The Lord of Heaven’s Armies has revealed this to me: “Till the day you die, you will never be forgiven for this sin.” That is the judgment of the Lord, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.
Quick Notes/Quick Questions
How many times can something be said before it sinks in? Supposedly four to seven times. Once again, we ask God to come and get us out of situations that we put ourselves. On top of that, we got into those situation by directly disobeying what we were called to by God. Can this be any clearer? Why is it that we still ask God for help when we purposely disobey him? I wish I had an answer for that.
Quick Prayer
Almighty God, help me. I got myself into this situation, but I am unable to get myself out. I'm sorry for choosing my way over your way. I don't deserve it, but can you please help me? Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment